Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Twick's Pork Chops of Yum

Well I don't actually use this blog, but I suppose it's as good a place as any to put this recipe :)

So I had intended on using this recipe for Pan Fried Pork Chops but since I was out of flour, I improvised. I still used the thin-cut bone-in chops because I don't think this would work with the thick kind (and I was aiming for something like the kind my gramma used to make.)

First I smashed up a bunch of saltines in a freezer bag - this would probably be easier with a grinder, which I don't have.

I put the saltine "flour" in a wide, shallow bowl and dumped in a little over half as much seasoning salt (I used Johnny's). Then I added a dash of cayenne and a dash of garlic powder - just for the flavor but not enough to make it especially spicy or garlic-y.

Each chop got some black pepper (no salt, since I used saltines instead of flour) and then dropped into the dry mix on each side.

On the stove I heated the oil with a couple tbsp of butter in it. Then I just fried up the pork chops for about 3 minutes per side and set them to rest/drain on a pile of paper towels. Done!

Summary:

Two parts saltine flour
A little over one part seasoning salt
A little cayenne and a little garlic powder
(mix those together)
Black pepper
Oil (I used veggie, but canola would probably be better)
Butter

1- pepper the chop
2- drop the chop onto the saltine/salt/garlic/cayenne mix, coating each side
3- shake off excess "stuff"

4- heat oil in a skillet with 2 tbsp butter - medium heat

5- fry the chops, 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.

6- let the chops rest/drain on a pile of paper towels on a plate

7- NOM!


P.S. - the ones that got cooked in the oil that already had "crumbs" from previous chops were even nummier :D

1 comment: